One of the best things about the weekend is the delicious breakfasts you wake up to in the morning. From those beautifully poached eggs, to the fluffiest pancakes, and the creamiest porridge…YUM!
But what if you want to feel like you’re indulging without ACTUALLY indulging and going a little overboard? Well well well, boy do we have you covered. These 5 breakfast ideas will have you feeling like you could open your own brunch café, without actually over indulging.
French toast with bacon and maple syrup (with a healthy twist)
- 4 slices of rye bread
- 3 eggs
- 4 rashers of middle cut bacon
- Olive oil spray (I use flora proactive if I choose to use butter)
- Maple syrup to serve
- Get a frying pan out over medium-high heat, and spray it with olive oil spray
- Add the middle bacon to the pan and cook until crispy and brown
- Meanwhile crack the eggs into a bowl
- Submerge the slices of bread in the egg mixture one by one
- When they have soaked up the egg, add them to a separate pan at medium-high heat and fry until the egg is cooked and the bread browns
- When the bacon and toast are both ready, plate up the French toast, layer the bacon over the top and serve with some maple syrup.
Warning: 🤤 Drool worthy
The Perfect Porridge
This is a winter warmer that can be adapted and adjusted with different toppings to suit the whole family.
- ½ cup oats for each person (4 people = 2 cups)
- 1 cup of milk per ½ cup of oats (2 cups of oats = 4 cups milk), you can vary it up here, try almond, oat or soy milk for a bit more of a nutty taste
- ½ banana per person
Other toppings you might like to add; frozen berries, nut butters, chia seeds, crushed nuts, and my absolute favourite is to stir through some grated red apple.
- Put the oats and milk into a pot and bring to a simmer. Keep stirring as it heats, until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. You might find that you need more milk which is fine, just add as much as you need.
- While the oats are cooking stir in a couple of tablespoons of honey (I like to use Manuka for its immune boosting properties)
- Defrost some frozen berries here if you’re going to use them (blueberries, raspberries, or a mixture), and set them aside
- Slice the bananas on an angle and set them aside
- When the oats are done, serve them up into bowls and add banana, cinnamon, berries or other toppings of choice.
Almond pancakes with spiced almond butter and maple syrup
We absolutely could not go past this Donna Hay recipe. So indulgent, it totally hits the spot!
Zucchini and Corn Fritters with Smashed Avo and Poached Eggs
Makes 10-12 small fritters
- 2 large Zucchinis grated and drained
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 cup of sweet corn kernels
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Small bunch of parsley chopped finely
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1 Avocado
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 Poached egg per person
- Splash of white vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the grated Zucchini, spring onion, corn, egg and parmesan.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt and parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan with a ¼ cup measuring cup
- Cook until golden brown for approximately 3 minutes on either side
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan to the boil and poach the desired amount of eggs *see note*
- Transfer the cooked fritters to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Smash the avocado with a little lemon juice
- Serve the fritters with a scoop of smashed avo and a perfectly poached egg.
To poach the eggs bring a saucepan of water to a simmer. And add a small splash of white vinegar. Grab a wooden spoon and stir the water around to create a whirlpool. Crack the egg right into the middle of the whirlpool. Don’t let the water boil as it may damage the eggs. Cook for 2-3 minutes for a soft yolk, and then remove using a slotted spoon.
Soft boiled eggs with Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus soldiers and toasted bread
- 8 Eggs
- 12 Asparagus spears
- 12 slices of prosciutto
- 4 thick slices of bread
- Olive oil spray
- Olive oil (optional)
- Get a frying pan out and bring it to medium/high heat, and lightly coat it with olive oil spray
- Prepare the Asparagus for cooking by snapping the woody ends off
- Wrap each asparagus spear in a piece of prosciutto, spreading the prosciutto out across the spear.
- Place the wrapped asparagus into the hot pan and grill for around 5 minutes until the asparagus is cooked and the prosciutto is browned.
- Fill a medium saucepan half way and bring it to a boil
- Place the eggs in the boiling water one at a time with a spoon and cook for 5 ½ minutes (its best to time this for perfection)
- Plate up the asparagus spears
- Get your bread in the toaster and once it’s done slice it into soldiers and share between plates
- When the eggs are done lightly tap around the top of each egg, remove the point, season with black pepper and its ready to go!
- Serve the eggs in egg cups and for a delicious touch, drizzle some olive oil over the bread soldiers.
Comment below to let us know which one you will be trying this weekend, and if you do try one, make sure you take a photo and tag ‘thebetterme.com.au’ on Instagram.
Team TBM x