There’s no better feeling than a dust free house that smells fresh and clean. You may think you’re doing you and your family a favour by pouring that bleach into your mop bucket, or spraying your shower with that spray bottle of chemicals you can’t even pronounce, but really you’re just putting them in danger of inhaling and absorbing harmful chemicals that have only negative effects on our bodies.
It can also be disheartening making a decision to get rid of those chemicals, only to walk down the supermarket aisle to find nothing that caters for a chemical free home. However, we’ve got you covered with our homemade cleaning product recipes that will keep your house clean AND your family healthy and happy. On top of that? They’re so easy to make and don’t have a list of ingredients as long as your arm.
Literally just fill a spray bottle with water and throw in 10 drops of your favourite essential oil! It’s that easy. I recommend Lavender, or a citrus oil for more freshness.
Air Fresheners that you can leave around your house
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of Baking soda
- 10-12 drops of essential oil of your choice
- Patty Pans
- Muffin pan
- First, combine the water and baking soda in a medium bowl until you get a thick paste.
- Add in the essential oil(s) and stir well.
- Line the muffin pan with the paper cupcake liners and place a few spoonfuls of the mixture in each until full.
- Let these sit for at least 24 hours, before you get them out and leave them around your house.
- If you want to be extra fancy, you can even add dried flower petals to these.
All Purpose/All Surface Cleaners
*Quick Tip: If it’s not certified by the strict regulations of a Green Seal or Ecologo, it’s not safe to use.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 10-15 drops of citrus essential oil (orange essential oil acts as an antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic)
Simply combine all these ingredients into a spray bottle and you’re ready to go!
Dish Washing Liquid
Castille soap registers at about 8.9 on the pH scale, making it less harsh for us to use. It can be made from coconut, olive and hemp oils and it a natural alternative to the dish washing liquids most people currently put onto their dishes and skin.
To make your own dish washing liquid you only need castile and water in the ratio 1:10 (so easy!).
These are changes that everybody can make in their homes to work towards not only a more sustainable lifestyle, but a chemical free one too!
Team TBM xx